Why Holacracy and not holacratie, holacraty or Holocracy ?
History of Holacracy®
Holacracy is a social technology born in the United States. It started with three individuals who dreamt about finding a new way to manage organizations. After having encountered the endemic challenges of organizations and the habitual bottle-neck, either as collaborators or managers, they created an IT company which they named Ternary Software. The general management of the company tested new methods of organization and cooperation, integrating new ideas and techniques.
After 6 years, the organization was working at full capacity; they had built a coherent set. Noticed by many, they were awarded several awards.
They named this promising approach Holacracy, a word they invented, and in 2007, the company HolacracyOne was founded to allow this emerging practice to pursue its evolution and expand throughout the world.
Why Holacracy® and not holacratie, holacraty or Holocracy ?
Holacracy® is a trademark of HolacracyOne. Holacracy is an invented word that comes from the contraction of two other words: holarchy which in Greek represents a kind of organic structure, and –cracy which relates to power. It’s about the power of the holarchy. Most people translate it into French by holacratie, simply because it reminds them of “democratie” (French spelling for democracy – the power for and by the people) – so they naturally translate it in ‘holacratie’. But like “Apple”, this trademark cannot translate. Other people translate it into holacraty, holocracy or holocratie because this word looks complex and difficult to write at first glance. From time to time, we use the word ‘holacratie’ in our blog articles because it allows us to be referenced by search engines, which enables the French-speaking community to have better access to our publications.
What is a trademark ?
The goal of a trademark is to maintain a worldwide integrity of the brand and the quality of any professional offerings which are tied to that brand. All too often, promising and innovative methods see their message or uniqueness “watered down” (in the world) by those who lack the expertise to represent it with integrity even if it is unintentional as it is the case for Sociocracy or Agile Methods. When this integrity is protected and a brand identity maintained, it enables those consuming the products, services, or trainings to trust they’re getting the level of quality intended by the creators of the brand. This consumer protection is the original intent and primary goal of trademark law. To this end, HolacracyOne LLC registered Holacracy® as a trademark (as well as other related marks). HolacracyOne seeks to protect the integrity of these marks and materials as well as the quality they represent. They do not seek to restrict people from practicing or adopting the Holacracy® operating system, nor to restrict people from talking about or sharing Holacracy with colleagues - trademarks do not create such rights anyway. Thus, anyone can practice Holacracy freely and adopt the Holacracy constitution where all the rules of the game are recorded - it is available on the internet as an open source. The trademark simply prevents people from marketing or selling certain products, services and trainings using the Holacracy® trademark unless they have a license to do so as does iGi Partners. This allows us to market and sell Holacracy® products and services that meet the required quality and integrity standards. If you want to suggest the Holacracy system to one of your clients, simply contact us through the contact form and we’ll send you all the information.
What can I do with the Holacracy® trademark ?The following text comes from the page http://holacracy.org/legal-info and was adapted to our context.
What you can do :
- Practice Holacracy® methods in your organization and say you’re doing so.
- Help your organization adopt or practice Holacracy® and say you’re doing so.
- Talk about Holacracy® with your colleagues and friends.
- Reference the Holacracy® Operating System as a method imported from the United States and/or promoted by iGi Partners.
- Blog or write about Holacracy and share your thoughts about it with the world; you do not need to include the ™ or ® on Holacracy when you do so (unless you are in HolacracyOne’s licensing program and are using the mark to market or sell your services) but you cannot write ‘holacratie’, ‘holacraty’ or “holacracie”.
- Give a talk about your experiences with Holacracy methods as long as you don’t charge for it.
- Help other organizations practice Holacracy methods, as long as you do so on a volunteer (unpaid) basis and without marketing yourself as an expert or a provider of Holacracy services.
- Refer iGi Partners on your website with a link to our website.
What you can’t do (without permission) :
- Use the Holacracy brand (or the word holacratie) to market or sell your own products, services, or trainings.
- Market yourself as an expert in Holacracy or as a provider of Holacracy implementation, coaching, or support services.
- Market and sell registrations for your own Holacracy trainings or workshops.
- Offer, sell, or provide Holacracy services to your clients (although we’d love for you to talk about Holacracy and refer them to us).
- Distribute or use iGi Partners copyrighted materials which are not released under a Creative Commons license, or beyond the terms of that license (see each document for details).
- Represent yourself or your products as an official representation of Holacracy, HolacracyOne or iGi Partners.
- Copy or feature on your website/blog the content of our website, such as videos, audios, posts, etc.
Authorizations to iGi PartnersBelow are the certifications and authorizations delivered by HolacracyOne to iGi Partners:
Certified Holacracy Practitioner (CHP)This credential is the first level of the certification program.
iGi’s Partners Certified Holacracy Practitioners: Bernard Marie (2010), Margaux (2011), Perrine (2011).
Certified Holacracy Coach (CHC)This credential is the second level of the certification program.
iGi’s Partners Certified Holacracy Coachs: Bernard Marie (2011), Margaux (2013).
Number of Certified Holacracy Coachs in the world: 9.
Certified Holacracy Master Coach (CHMC)This credential is the third and highest level of the certification program. iGi’s Partners Certified Holacracy Master Coach: Bernard Marie (2012). Number of Certified Holacracy Master Coachs in the world : 3. More on the Certification Program : http://holacracy.org/individual-certification-program
Powered by HolacratieAn organization “powered by Holacracy” has ratified the Holacracy® Constitution and has seriously made the shift with the support of a Certified Holacracy Coach (or Master Coach). iGi Partners is practicing the same principles it proposes and is “powered by Holacracy” since 2010.
Licensed Holacracy Provider (LHP)An LHP is an organization authorized to delivered Holacracy services and trainings in compliance with the trademark’s integrity. iGi Partners is the first LHP, since the beginning of 2011 and operate throughout the world Number of LHPs in the world : 3 (see the list)). More on the LHP program: : http://holacracy.org/licensing
Need help or have questions ?
Contact us ! We will be glad to assist you.
Holacracy Constitution in EnglishThe Holacracy® Constitution was created by HolacracyOne. This document describes the basic rules, the structure and processes of Holacracy®. It allows organizations wanting to set up this system to concretely and thoroughly anchor this intention and it insures that everyone has access to the same “rules of the game”.
The constitution evolves regularly to integrate the reality of those who practice Holacracy®.
To download the Holacracy® Constitution in English, click here
To download the Holacracy® Constitution in French !